Monday, March 10, 2008

Eat Pes and Rayo Round #2

I just went through EatPes.com and must say that the guy is amazingly inventive and devoted to his art. The Pee-Nut film is quite hilarious. It's the simplicity of the objects combined with realistic sound effects that make his films seem so humorous to me. A couple of peanuts represent the "digits" and a snaking metal bendable tube is the stream of pee- two objects that are undiscernable as to what they are supposed to be if not for the sound effect of pee hitting water. When the fly buzzes in and gets hit with the stream it is really funny mainly because of the very recognizable realistic sounds he uses. The film I enjoyed even more was the Roof Sex one. From the opening shot of a fake city skyline with honking cars and ambience, there is a realistic element, even as the sound of a women moaning is heard. The combination of the chairs (one with a skirt, one without) and the sex noises is just hilariously done. The animation is smooth and so lifelike (even though they're chairs instead of people). It's what he does best in his films; he constructs alternate worlds where everyday objects take on new meanings and human forms, which has evidently benefited him judging from the advertisments he's done. I am especially interested in how he even animated people as if they are just another object for him to play with. The Human Skateboard and the Sprint one both did this, yet I barely noticed on the first viewing that the people weren't moving but quickly being animated. It's definately an interesting idea. I realized I had seen the Bacardi commercials and the CoinStar one on tv before, which suprised me. I guess there is a need for really innovative and artistic ideas in advertising and his style seems to be perfectly suited for that.

This week I spent the majority of class redoing the rayogram exercise, trying to improve upon the slightly underdeveloped strip from last time. I used a lot more objects and tried to make more varied patterns and shapes, to at least edit select pieces and splice them into the first strip.

No comments: